Police Work, Politics and World Affairs, Football and the ongoing search for great Scotch Whiskey!

Monday, October 29, 2012

The broken clock stuck the right time

I grew up in a family of cigarette smokers and I was the only member repulsed by it. I tried a cigarette once when I was 10 or so and that probably keep me from trying them again. That being said I love a good cigar and I've recently tried a pipe. No I don't ever see trying a cigarette again. Pipes and cigars don't go into your lungs like the cigs do.

That being said I'm shocked I'm somewhat agreeing with the ACLU of Texas in this matter. From this morning's Houston Chronicle.
Searching for a job? Tobacco users need not apply

Smokers beware: Puffing away could reduce chances of landing a job, particularly at a hospital or a health care facility.

Methodist Hospital System in Houston this month announced it will implement a tobacco-free hiring policy on Jan. 1, joining the Texas Medical Center and Memorial Hermann Healthcare System, which have had similar policies since last year and 2010, respectively.

The policies are straightforward. Applicants who smoke or chew tobacco will not be hired. Existing employees are exempt.

A growing number of hospitals and health care institutions have adopted the policies to promote wellness, improve productivity and rein in rising health care costs, but critics say they discriminate and could lead to punitive actions against other personal habits and vices...

Kinda funny when I read this and when my patrol duties take me to Ben Taub or Herman hospital, cops generally park next to the smoking area. Seeings the doctors and nurses smoke does bring a bit of a smile to me. Hey, we're all human.
“We think this is an invasion of privacy and really overreaching,” said Dotty Griffith, public education director for the American Civil Liberties Union in Texas. “At what point do you give up your rights and autonomy? Will they not employ those who ride motorcycles and drink alcohol?”

I somewhat agree with her. Somewhat. This is not an invasion of rights per say because it's a simple contract between two parties. If you don't agree with the policy of Methodist Hospital, don't apply for a job there. Now Methodist, I personally think you are putting a lot of well qualified people off your applicant pool. Not too bright on your side.

Somewhat similar to the point I made when the Houston City Council banned smoking in bars (the smokers go outside now). I am a bit libertarian on this. If a bar owner wants to allow or not allow smoking (or have separate areas) in his business, that is his business. If I as a consumer do not want to go into a bar that allows smoking, I can go elsewhere. I think it's called liberty and freedom of choice.

However, the point from the ACLU rep is well made. At what point does this stop? I drink and I love my Harley. I also drive a F-150, I have flown a private plane and two of the things on my bucket list I haven't done yet are skydiving and scuba divings. Will those be the next to be on the banned list?

By the way ACLU, you would have more credibility in this issue if you have raised it when the Obamacare bill was up. Just saying. Then again intellectual consistency is not a hallmark of the left.

Now there is some hope out there:
Twenty-nine states and the District of Columbia have statutes that ban employment discrimination against smokers, but 21 states, including Texas, do not.

Another piece of liberty gone. Problem is getting it back.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a dispatcher and I just started a site so I can find other law enforcement people to talk to! I work midnights, so I'm hoping to find people to talk to online. Here's my site if you have time to stop by. http://911-dispatcher.com My site is new, so I only have a few visitors, but I'll post a link to your site so maybe we can all find each other's sites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea

      Just checked your site out and it looks good. Where about are you...I'm in the Houston area.

      Good luck with the blog...I'll link to you.

      Take care

      Mike

      Delete