Police Work, Politics and World Affairs, Football and the ongoing search for great Scotch Whiskey!

Friday, July 10, 2020

A long haired country boy, alone...

A great country artist, patriot, and American, passed on Monday. Like most people, the first song I heard from the Charlie Daniels Band was The Devil Went Down to Georgia, and you heard the man get down on his fiddle. But his music crossed over to rock, and I loved to hear him over the years.

When I was deployed to Kuwait, 2005-06, his band did a tour with the USO. He came into the headquarters, took pictures and signed autographs. He was asked how many times he would sign pictures, etc, his answer, "Until my hand cannot hold a pen!" That's how much he loved the troops. After two hours, he left, but had a great concert that evening. And he continued his tour after us.

While most people will post The Devil Went Down to Georgia, I'm more drawn to Long Haired Country Boy. A somewhat darker song, but declaring his independence from others, "Cause I ain't asking nobody for nothin,' If I cant get it on my own, If you don't like the way I'm livin,'You just leave this long-haired country boy alone..."

Rest in Peace Charlie Daniels, the long haired country boy. Your buddies Johnny, Waylon, and Merle are waiting, Heaven has one hell of a concert coming up.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment