Police Work, Politics and World Affairs, Football and the ongoing search for great Scotch Whiskey!

Sunday, August 2, 2020

I still like his lobes...

Of all the follow-on shows of Star Trek-TNG, without question my favorite is ST-Deep Space 9. The characters were deliberately more "dark" and complex than Star Trek-TNG. In all fairness, the first couple of years, Captain Picard and crew were a bit flat. However, as the seasons went on, the characters, and the show in general, greatly improved. And the Enterprise crew gave Commander Sisko and ST-Deep Space 9 a great launch.

Of all the characters on ST-Deep Space 9, my favorite is Garak. played masterfully by Andrew Robinson. However, I've always been drawn to Quark for multiple reasons. There is the singular goal of profit over all, there is nothing above it. Family, friendship, forget it, there is only gold pressed latinum. As the Rules of Acquisition were unveiled over the years, you understand that more. Some examples:
1. Once you have their money... you never give it back.

6. Never allow family to stand in the way of opportunity.

13. Greed is eternal.

31. Never make fun of a Ferengi's mother. Insult something he cares about instead.

33. It never hurts to suck up to the boss.

57. Good customers are as rare as latinum—treasure them.

60. Keep your lies consistent.
(Good in business, and law!) And my favorite,

111. Treat people in your debt like family... exploit them.

By pure luck I was checking out YouTube and I found this from 1993, Live with Regis & Kathie Lee. Quark comes out first, then actor Armin Shimerman. Three hours of makeup every day. I doubt I could sit that long for any reason. But for Star Trek fans, enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment