Police Work, Politics and World Affairs, Football and the ongoing search for great Scotch Whiskey!

Thursday, December 22, 2022

A look at the funeral of one America's greatest warriors

On my Bucket List is visiting his grave. I saw Ike's in 86, Bradley's in 19. But I will see General George Smith Patton's grave after I retire. 

Found this video by pure accident. I've read about the end in the classic Patton: Ordeal and Triumph, one of the two books the movie Patton was based on (the other is Omar Bradley's A Soldier's Story).



I remember one of the scenes of the movie, where he almost gets killed by an ox cart. His actual cause of death was almost as unbelievable, especially for a man well described as, "A pure warrior...what a magnificent anachronism." 

RIP General Patton. 

2 comments:

  1. This past week I saw Hernando Cortez' "tomb". As far as I can tell it's only a plaque on a wall in a church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When he was first buried, he had a simple cross matching the other soldiers, and was buried next to a private from Detroit. I read recently he was moved to a more isolated place in the graveyard because many people wanted to get close to that grave, and they were walking on the other graves. I don't think Patton would like being moved a few yards from his soldiers, but I know he would be pissed by the thought of people walking on their final resting sites.

    ReplyDelete