Police Work, Politics and World Affairs, Football and the ongoing search for great Scotch Whiskey!

Tuesday, May 30, 2023

The Deam That Many Will Not Understand

Been black the last few weeks, the wife and I were on a 10th Anniversary cruise to Alaska. Sailed out of Seattle and returned a little over a week ago, If you have not done so, take a trip to America's Last Frontier. It is beautiful.

As I've been trying to catch up, I found this great piece on what a motorcycle means to a rider. Says it better than I have ever been able to say. I can relate, a four day trip to New York, stopping to visit friends and family all over the country. Hoping to make so many miles in a day, but stepped by weather, traffic, or the desire to just stop and watch. 

I have 60 staring me down the face, so I know some day I will have to transition to a three wheeler, or give it up. But I will continue to ride until my body says "Enough fat old dude." Everyone has one of these things you don't do to live, but live to do. Whatever it is, enjoy it till you can't. 

Reprinted with permission,  enjoy.

THE DREAM THAT MANY WILL NOT UNDERSTAND:
 
I bought a BIKE for a personal dream.

One day when I am very old and when I can not walk anymore, it will be in my garage as a trophy of my memories.

I met people who taught me something and have the same spirit and I met others that I'm glad I forgot.

I got wet,

I felt cold,

And I felt warm,

I was affraid,

I fell,

And I stand up,

I even hurt myself,
 
But also, I laughed out loud inside the helmet.
 
I spoke a thousand times with myself.
 
I sang and shouted with joy like a madman,
 
And yes ... sometimes I cried.
 
I have seen wonderful places and lived unforgettable experiences.
 
I often made curves that even Marc Marquez would be proud of;  other times I made curves full of terror.
 
I stopped a thousand times to see a landscape.
 
I spoke with perfect strangers, and I forgot people I see every day.
 
I went out with my demons inside and returned home with an absolute peace in my heart.
 
I always thought how dangerous it is, knowing that the meaning of courage is to advance even feeling fear.
 
Every time I go up to my machine I think about how wonderful it is.
 
I stopped talking to those who do not understand, (they just do not understand) and I learned through gestures to communicate with other riders.
 
I spent money that I did not have, giving up many things, but all these things are not worth even a moment about my BIKE
 
It is not a means of transport or a piece of iron with wheels, it is the lost part of my soul and my spirit.
 
And when someone says to me: "You have to sell the BIKE and you have to be a more serious person", ... 

I do not answer.  I just swing my head and smile,
 
Walking on, BIKE..... only the person who loves them understands it.
 
May God bless my friends and their toy of great people!
 
And the adventure continues.  

Gus Pappas

 


No comments:

Post a Comment