Police Work, Politics and World Affairs, Football and the ongoing search for great Scotch Whiskey!

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Finally a proper place to display a cop's hat!

Back in 2000 I was introduced by a mutual friend to Bill, a then officer (now Sergeant) on the London Metropolitan Police Department. We met at a pool hall and hit it right off. Spent hours shooting pool, talking shop and drinking beer. He drank Budweiser, I drank Guinness. Go figure.

I got to take Bill to the pistol range and he fired weapons for the first time in over a decade. And did pretty good for a man who hadn't handled a pistol since he was in the Royal Marines. A few days later he got to ride alone with an officer at my station and had the greatest time.

Since then we've kept in touch my mail, email and phone. And back in March 2006 I got to visit Bill and his wife at their house in London and it was great having a guide for that place. I even got my picture taken in front of Number 10 Downing Street after Bill made a few phone calls.


Now as I was preparing to go back to Kuwait Bill gave me a treasured gift. His original police hat and night stick. Plus a set of sergeant's stripes. I've keep them in my living room but I never had a proper place to display them. Until now.

A few weeks ago I was at an Ace Hardware store that sold mementos as well as hardware. I was walking through and found a tripod used to display commemorative plates. I thought this might work...and with a few suggestions from the ladies at Ace, it did.


Thanks again Bill for a great present and your friendship throughout the years. Be assured your gift is now properly displayed in the house.

Until we meet again, God Save the Queen!   :<)

No comments:

Post a Comment