Police Work, Politics and World Affairs, Football and the ongoing search for great Scotch Whiskey!

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Time Flies....

Over the last few weeks I’ve been trying to get a jump of the New Year's clean up and found these two. Kinda put me in a mood to look back. In a great song entitled Like a Rock, Bob Seger laments, “Twenty years, where’d they go...twenty years, I don’t know. I sit and and I wonder sometimes, where they’ve gone.” Now I gotta wonder about 25!

These are two photo’s taken at the 40th Anniversary of the End of the War in Europe (I know you can’t make a great acronyms out of it but that’s life). The foundation that established the National D-Day Museum in New Orleans (now the National World War Two Museum) hosted it with the guest speaker retired General William Westmoreland. For a twenty year old this was dream like. One of my treasured memento’s from college is a copy of Pegasus Bridge signed by several of the key players in the book: MAJ John Howard, leader of D Company who took the bridge; COL Hans Von Luck the German commander Howard faced. As I recall he started his address with “Now the view from the other side of the hill....” Others legends of the Longest Day.

The University of New Orleans Army ROTC Color Guard presented the colors there and we got in for free. Everyone else paid as I recall 40 buck a head. A lot more money than it is today. But to have an evening with these men was unreal.


L-R MSG Richard E Chism (RIP), Cadet (now LTC retired) Kevin J,
Cadet (COL USAR) Randolph J D., Sorry Don't remember but he was always fun,
GEN Westmoreland (RIP), Cadet Hale D, Cadet Jim ?, your's truly and MAJ Steve Dody (RIP)
Small world.  A few years later Lt Col Steve Dody was one of the people killed at a Luby's in Kileen TX.   


Switch camera takers...on the right that's then Captain Anthony W B.,
now retired LTC.The man who swore me in a couple of years later.



Now I look back at these men from my college days and I wonder what happened...damned I was thin back then! But life goes on.

2011 wasn’t half bad.  LSU gets the National Championship come Monday and Saints kick ass in the playoffs...here’s to a great 2012!

17 comments:

  1. Mike, thanks for the sober reminder. Too many RIP's and too many pounds since my lean and mean years. The face between Kevin Johnson and Westmoreland was Richard Clark the resident VA benefits student for life. I hope your Christmas was merry and have a Great New Year! PS. Thanks for the card! Anthony Broussard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear from you sir...hope the holidays were great!

    Mike

    PS: See the Saints yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, I remember all of you guys getting together for that picture. I think I had night classes at the time. It's killing me that I can't remember Jim's last name - it's not like I worked with him in the dorm for a couple of years. Like you, I was thin back then, at you least still have hair. Oh well - life sucks - so just grab a beer. (Mason)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim Copeland - finally remembered (Mason)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was the dementia or the alzheimer's this week Jerry? :<)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steven Charles Dody was a hero!

    Dody's life is very similar to Prince Charles!
    There are similarties between Prince Charles and Lt. Col. Steven Charles Dody:
    Both born in 1948.
    Both have two sons.
    Both married twice (Although Prince Charles is divorced from his first wife, while Steven Charles Dody’s first wife went Home to be with the Lord.)
    Prince Charles’ ex-wife had a boyfriend Dodi Al-Fayed, while Steven’s last name is Dody.
    Both first wives died at 36 years old.
    Both Prince Charles and Steven Charles Dody’s have the name William. (Prince Charles’s son is Prince William while, Steven Charles Dody’s son’s Michael Dody’s middle name is William.)
    Both second wives have two children (a boy and a girl)
    Both have grandfathers’ name George (Prince Charles have George VI, while Steven’s grandfather is George!)
    Both have grandmother’s born in the early 1900′s!
    Both have grandfathers born in 1895.
    Both have relatives named Albert (Prince Charles have grandfather’s Christian name Albert while Steven Charles Dody’s father’s middle name is Albert!)
    Both have three siblings.
    Both are have younger brothers.
    Both second wives are older than the spouses.
    Both have parents have birth years almost five years apart.
    Both have relatives derived from Elizabeth: Prince Charles’ mother is Elizabeth while Steven’s aunt named Betty!
    While Prince Charles have the oldest son named William, Steven Charles Dody’s oldest son’s middle name is William!
    Their lives are so similar to one another!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon, just curious, how do you know the gentlemen?

      Delete
  7. I founded out in the newspapers and other media.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never knew....met his boys once as I recall at a ROTC party he hosted at his house. But he was a good man taken far too soon. Damned, but it's a fact, tomorrow is promised to no one.

      Delete
  8. Another similarity:
    While Prince Charles' mother was Queen Elizabeth, Steven Charles Dody's grandmother's middle name was Elizabeth!
    While Prince Charles has a son Henry, Steven Charles Dody's great-grandfather was Henry Charles Richards!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a family member scanning the internet and they came across this site. My name is Martin Dody and my father was Ltc. Steven Charles Dody. It very inspiring to hear people talking about my father the way I feel about him. He was and still is my hero. I have spent the past 21 years living in a manner that would make him and my mom, Alice Dody, very proud. As an Officer in the Army he taugh both me and my brother how to live and be honorable. I know that he would be proud of the way both of us have turned out. I am not sure who started this blog and how you were associated with my fater, but thank you for all the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martin

      I don’t know if you remember me but I think we met at your house one Friday night back in spring 85. The ROTC juniors (in that picture Kevin J and Randolph D) were getting ready to leave for FT Riley Kansas.

      In this photo I am the guy with the long hair and big glasses next to your Dad.

      I met your Old Man back in 84 when he had just arrived as Professor of Military Science of the University of New Orleans. He was an awesome officer and I learned a lot from him. I still tell people his war story of the one time he flew the Huey Attack Chopper and he me “Never again!” Your Dad told me he had to get it up to full power, the bird would get a few feet above the ground and some guys had to push it down the runway and generate enough lift to get it fully airborne. That was nuts.

      When I was a company commander I remembers a policy he had as a commander and used it. No jewelry in the field. Too much of a chance of someone getting hurt if a ring gets caught on some equipment.

      The Master Sergeant in both pictures just to General Westmoreland’s right is Rich Chism, a now diseased Green Beret. We kept in touch after we all went our separate ways and I was the one who told him about Luby’s. A few months later I received a copy of the Killeen newspaper cover story and it had pictures of everyone including your Dad. I think I still have that in my old stuff.

      If you want to get a little more detailed conversation please email me at acopswatch@gmail.com and we can discuss your Dad more.

      Thank you for your kind works on this blog. Hope to year from you soon.

      Mike

      Delete
    2. My family attended Ft. Clayton Chapel in Panama during your stay there. My husband was a chaplain and My daughters are Lydia, Anya and Shannon. We were there when Steven's wife was first hospitalized...then went home to The Lord. We agonized an have held you up in prayers over the years. God bless you and your brother.

      Delete
  10. Man, Steven Charles Dody looks a lot like the actor from TV's Superman, John Hamilton!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Steve Dody was my next door neighbor in Mulvane KS from 5th grade through High School. Super nice guy, we had a lot of good times playing in the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete