Police Work, Politics and World Affairs, Football and the ongoing search for great Scotch Whiskey!

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Movies, entertainment, politics and a serious question. Is John Goodman this hard up for cash?

Earlier this year I posted on an article on the problems with Hollywood. In a word, they are making high cost crap no one wants to watch and are shocked when no one spends 10-20 bucks a ticket to watch it. It reminded me of this.

In late October I was looking at a Red Box and saw this video for rent.



With a catch phrase of Love Thy Neighbor and this modern day Daisy Duke with an AK-47 I had to check this out. No I didn't waste a buck on it but I did check it out at IMDb. From the plot summary,

Set in Middle America, a group of teens receive an online invitation for sex, though they soon encounter fundamentalists with a much more sinister agenda.

I watched the trailer showing the boys being held hostage in a small church with one of them being wrapped in clear plastic. I gather from the preview John Goodman is the local law enforcement chief (can't tell if he's a sheriff or whatever) but there is a Branch Davidian shootout with lots of bullets fired from magazines that never empty.

Now with a name like Red State, set in Middle America and the chief antagonist is a wacked out minister it's not much of a leap that this is an insult to Middle America. So of course this will be something Hollywood would want to produce. But I go back to my comment about America wanting to buy. I checked out the production cost, etc on this crap from the IMDb page. With a production cost of four million they got an opening weekend of 204205 from one screen. I'd love to know where. I take it it was not in Middle America. They had more success overseas in England, Australia and Turkey.

So a moron makes a movie that insults the movie buying public is made and doesn't even break even. You would think the geniuses in the movie industry would have figured it but no. But no, I have no doubt more propaganda like this is coming out in the future.  Hollywood will never learn.   Or as one of the movie pics from the web site put's America's reaction to this well:



And I'll chip in. John, if your this hard up for work you're taking crap like this we would have helped man. I think a lot of us would throw you a few bucks until you get something better like Rosanne!

No comments:

Post a Comment