Police Work, Politics and World Affairs, Football and the ongoing search for great Scotch Whiskey!

Monday, December 31, 2012

Reflections on New Years Eve

A look over the last few days.

Took the last week off to enjoy some leisure (which I have done too much of) and get some things done around the house (which I have done too little). But as the year comes to an end, let’s look at a few things to say were the good, the bad, the ugly and the great.

An excellent book. Saturday I killed the last 130 pages of The Last Lion: Winston Spencer Churchill: Defender of the Realm, 1940-1965. Gotta love a book where you are going and going that your eyes are hurting but you don’t care. An insightful look at one of the greatest men of the 20th Century, warts and all. If you want an excellent bio, read the entire series by Manchester. In the man’s honor I had a Hoyo de Monerry cigar (Churchill size of course) and three fingers of Macallan 15 year old. Just started The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest, the final book in the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo series. After a serious book like a Churchill bio, you need something easy!

Some bad football. My Saints died out towards the end of the season, ending 7-9. All things considered (first two 2012 draft choices gone, the GM and other coaches suspended for up to a half season, the head coach suspended for the year) this wasn’t half bad. And we have something to look forward to next year. Full coaching staff back, a full draft, the GM will be able to staff the team right and our coaches will be able to coach them right. But what is the unknown factor for the Saints next year. Sean Peyton. He will be back next year with the biggest chip on his shoulder. He will really want to tell the NFL kiss my ass as he gets the Lombardi in February 2014. Next year should be fun. On the adopted home team, the Texans are not looking good right now. They need the by week to get their offense retuned.

The Ugly. Washington. B Hussein Obama is deliberately crashing the country over the fiscal cliff and the idiot leadership in the House will not stop him. The only silver lining in this mess is it may cost Boehner his speakership but the country is screwed. Greece and the Japanese lost decade are nothing compared to what we are about to go through. I still have my Romney/Ryan sign which will be put out on January 20th and selected other dates in the future. Hey guys, don’t blame me.

And the great. Beth and I will make it official on March 9th. How she puts up with me I still can’t fathom so she must love me! And I her. Hopefully we will remember that over the years to come as she endures my claims of “I’ll get to it!” and I endure her back seat driving! :)

Hope you had a Merry Christmas, you have a Happy New Year tonight and an even better year in 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment