Police Work, Politics and World Affairs, Football and the ongoing search for great Scotch Whiskey!

Friday, February 13, 2015

This Is the City: H-Town!

Where did a year go? It was like yesterday I got the bad news call from personnel saying I was heading to a rotational assignment at the jail. Not what I became a sergeant to do, but that comes with the territory. I went from a senior police officer to a junior sergeant and bottom of the totem pole. There are guys senior to me who did go, there are guys junior to me who will not go. Just your luck of the draw and as many of my fellow sergeants from last year said, better to just get it done with than live with the possibility over your head for three years.

Tonight I spend my last night as an assigned jail sergeant. My soon to be former boss has asked if I’m willing to come in now and then if he’s shorthanded and I’m cool with that. But I finally did something I’ve been meaning to do for months. I got the key, opened the door that says “AUTHORIZED PERSONNEL ONLY” and walked onto the roof. It has a beautiful view of the Houston skyline at night. Man I wish I had thought of this for Independence Day.


The staff surprised me with a dinner, a cake and a card for me. I figured they would celebrate after I left, damned, it’s nice to be wanted! :<)

But for the moment, I’ll just take it easy in the last few hours. I really don’t want a disturbance/confrontation as I’m walking out this place. I have a knack for on the last assignment before I leave, there is a minor disaster and I want to avoid that now. And seeing I get to make the decisions, I think me and my coffee Thermos will stay away
.
All in all a good year, dealt with some excellent people who are doing the a dirty job that has to be done for small wage and little recognition. But to all the staff, thank you for your help in breaking me in, answering a question or two, executing my direction well and serving the people of this city. Even the morons we process.

Well, pleasant dreams Houston. My final hours are in front of me. I’m going to try and not get into trouble. Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment