Police Work, Politics and World Affairs, Football and the ongoing search for great Scotch Whiskey!

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Life and little annoyances

I’ve been a cop for just over 14 years and as such I’m highly visible in the community. Sometimes a perfect stranger walks up and asks me for directions and if I can assist them, I do. I have on occasion been told words to the effect “Thank you for the job you do....” But this was a bit much.

Last Saturday Houston Police had a officer involved shooting where a mentally handicapped man who’s weapons was found to be an ink pen was killed. There are a lot of questions but there are two things I know for certain. One, a man is dead and that has to be investigated. Two, I know the full story is not out yet. That hopefully comes out soon enough.

With that as background I had an interesting incident at dinner tonight. I was with a couple of other cops when a civilian walked up and said “I’ve got something for you...here is a back up” and he holds up a pen.

I was a little, to put it politely, pissed at this. One, I don’t walk up to strangers for no reason and interrupt their dinner. My mother raised me better than than. Two I don’t like being accused by implication of something.

I simply said “Good night sir” in a tone that told this moron I would not be polite soon enough if he didn’t leave.

Other cops out there, how would you have handled that?

No comments:

Post a Comment