Police Work, Politics and World Affairs, Football and the ongoing search for great Scotch Whiskey!

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Life goes on….

Been a long week. I finished up Phase One of Sergeant Field Training and all goes well. I have started Phase II and I’m dealing with great people, it’s the night shift. I hate night shift. I guess the reason is I could never get used to it. I would do two weeks on nights and then the Army would have me for a few days. Then I’d have to get back on day.

Thursday was one long ass day. After getting off at 700am I checked into court and fortunately was able to take a nap in the officers down room. I get told just after lunch I will have a trial for a speeding ticket. After three hours with that I get a conviction. And nine hours of overtime. I drive home, take a long shower, dinner and I take the next night off. Called in to my station and told them after 17 straight hours there was no way I would make it through the night and they agreed. How the hell I made it to 1000pm I still don’t know. With the exception of a three-hour nap I was up 32 hours. But I slept the sleep of the dead until 900am Friday.

Did get to have a great lunch with Beth to celebrate her 30 days of not smoking and then spent a few hours looking at possible lots to buy for a future home. We know this place is a good for us now bit big for retirement. But it will be paid off long time before we retire so it will make a great rental property.

God help us all, got all the kids over here. Adele turned 14 and we had the family dinner on Friday night and it was great to get out with everyone. Everything was great but the weather. Rained all night. Not that I’m really objecting, we needed the water but it could have waited one day! ☺

Then the real fun was upon Beth and I. We have six teenage girls upstairs for the night. Adele’s party is a sleepover and tomorrow we get to feed them all breakfast. That is always fun. Elmer has a lot of fun begging people for bacon.

Some good news on our favorite dog. He seems to be putting on some weight. After we came home from a week long vacation he looked emaciated. He probably didn’t eat much at he boarder because he missed the family. But we’ve been feeding him like a horse and he is looking fuller.

After two almost heart attacks last week, I hope for a more certain end of the game tomorrow with the Saints and the Texans. A couple of days ago I made a bet with an old friend who is a life long Bears fan. Dinner on whoever’s team drops from undefeated first. Looking at the schedule of both New Orleans and Chicago I’ll give it a better than 50/50 chance that our bet will be decided when New Orleans goes to the Windy City on October 6. Hopefully the Saints make it alive from the airport to the stadium. I see 13 people got shot in one drive by in the Windy City. Damned that gun control works!

And on the good side, one more assignment in my 3rd class for the masters degree. Barring a major oh s%^&, next Sunday I’ll be one quarter of the way done. Thank God. With a little luck it will be finished by this time next year.

To celebrate I’m outside with Beth smoking an excellent Monte Cristo Cabinet Selection and enjoying it with some great scotch. Bugs are alive but not that bad. Beth has told me a lot of things taste different now without the smoking. She tried a puff of the cigar (granted, this is a Robusto not a medium cigar) and it was overpowering. But she has gone down to the 14mg patches and is slowing weaning herself off the nicotine. In another month she’ll be off the patches and only using the eCigs to keep up with a smoking habit.

And good to know I can still start something on my blog with some comments. I really like it when one of the "Anon" commentators calls be out for "...losing all objectivity." Yo moron, I'm not objective, don't claim to be. If you want to be lied to about being objective, look up PBS.

Well, here’s to a great week starting off with a fantastic Sunday of football. Hope you are enjoying this time as well as I. Night all

No comments:

Post a Comment