Police Work, Politics and World Affairs, Football and the ongoing search for great Scotch Whiskey!

Thursday, September 8, 2011

It begins

Some wondered if the season would occur. There was no question of it in my mind. Too much money involved with this business, and yes that's what it is, for it not to occur.

Can't ask for a better set of teams. The NFL often does some really stupid stuff (e.g. the by week system) but having the defending league champ open up the season is great. Practically guarantees a great game. Last year it was a repeat was of the NFC championship game and it showed New Orleans was a little shaky and I'm sorry to say a repeat wasn't in the cards. Will it be in cards for Vince's trophy to go back to his team? We will know in February. History is filled with teams sitting on the sideline who should be in the championship.

Now I'm a life long Saints fan and I believe they are ready. And I'll make a prediction. New Orleans wins tonight and for one specific reason. Every moron on TV is choosing Green Bay. The same ones who in early January 2010 said "New Orleans, they are one and done....no one has ever lost the last three and come back to win the Superbowl.". The fact the last game of the season was a throw away and all of our starters were resting up didn't seem to factor into their thinking.

If I'm wrong? To borrow the words of Commander Kor, "...and if one day we are defeated...well, war has it's fortunes.". Although I know some people will never let me hear the end of it! :<) So let's have a great game. And a great season. And I will leave Green Bay the words I left my team with last year.
Patton: [voiceover] For over a thousand years, Roman conquerors returning from the wars enjoyed the honor of a triumph - a tumultuous parade. In the procession came trumpeters and musicians and strange animals from the conquered territories, together with carts laden with treasure and captured armaments. The conqueror rode in a triumphal chariot, the dazed prisoners walking in chains before him. Sometimes his children, robed in white, stood with him in the chariot, or rode the trace horses. A slave stood behind the conqueror, holding a golden crown, and whispering in his ear a warning: that all glory is fleeting.

UPDATE: Oh well, at least it was a hell of a game. Although I lost a lunch bet :(

No comments:

Post a Comment