Police Work, Politics and World Affairs, Football and the ongoing search for great Scotch Whiskey!

Saturday, November 16, 2013

I generally don't approve of this but I gotta say it, Sherlock Rocks

I've often lamented how there is little originality in Hollywood these days. And as a rule I don't care for remakes but this is awesome. The BBC has produced a new version of Sherlock Holmes and Dr John Watson and it is great.



The wife told me about this and after she got me off my ass I got on Amazon.com and I watched A Study in Pink. a revision of the original A Study in Scarlett. I have to say it made being brainy intriguing, or as one reviewer said, sexy.

The BBC version updates the pair to modern day London, with John Watson being a British army veteran suffering from PTSD and meting the consulting detective Sherlock through a mutual friend. The interaction between the two men comes up immediately and, thank God, the special effects are limited. Unlike the recent movies based on Conan Doyle's works, this series doesn't show people jumping across building or other stupidity that breaks the laws of physics.

In one episode after another, a reader of the original works will recognize the basic plot updated with the use of cell phones, an updated magnifying glass, Holmes trying to quit smoking and only alludes to his cocaine habit. His brother Mycroft his introduced as one of his routine antagonist and used just enough to make it interesting. And Dr Watson records their adventures in a blog today, not on paper.


There have been three actors who have played "The Great Detective" over the years. Sir Basil Rathbone in a British produced series from 1939 to 1946 and then Jeremy Brett starred in the 1980s and 1990s remake from Canadian broadcasting. Of these three men I would say Rathbone played to character closest to the "real" Holmes, while Brett somewhat modernized him. Each was excellent in their own way, but their greatness was born from a simple way. If you have a great story, let it play out and preform the acting well. Something Hollywood should remember these days.

Sir Basil Rathbone



Jeremy Brett

Well, got through the first season this morning and I'll start season two this week. Sherlock, unfortunately, doesn't have that many episodes. They are 90 minute long but the BBC only produces three shows a season. A little Sherlock goes a long way. Wets the appetite for more. Perhaps the entertainment industry should remember that.

And I'm adding a blog onto my blog list on A Cop's Watch…too cool not to put Dr. Watson on! :<)

No comments:

Post a Comment