Police Work, Politics and World Affairs, Football and the ongoing search for great Scotch Whiskey!

Friday, July 1, 2011

OK Chief, do you want us to lie on where the problem areas are

I'm often asked while on patrol on how safe a specific area is. One thing I do when I'm working overtime when the nightclubs are packed is I tell people to hide stuff in their cars because of auto burglaries. I guess in St Petersburg I'd be in trouble for warning people of a problem.
Officer investigated for speaking his mind on St. Pete crime

ST. PETERSBURG, Florida - A veteran officer with a clean record is being investigated by the St. Petersburg Police Department (SPPD) after he warned the father of a robbery victim about a dangerous part of town.

Officer Thad "Stu" Crisco, who was recently in headlines for honoring his fallen partner David Crawford, allegedly warned St. Petersburg father Bob Esposito about letting his 16-year-old daughter hang around the Northshore Pool at night. Esposito's daughter was one of five teens robbed by a group of armed men there about 10:30 p.m. on a recent weeknight.

"I wouldn't come down here at night," Esposito said of the Northshore Pool area and Downtown, where he admits he used to loiter as a teen. "And I was told by one of the police officers not to come down here either."

That comment, made by Crisco the night of the robbery, was inadvertently relayed to his superior when Esposito was following up with SPPD. The department then launched an investigation into "disparaging comments against the city."

"I'm shocked," Esposito said. "His job is to serve and protect, and as far as I'm concerned, he gave me information. I think he did his job. I think he did it very well."

Esposito said Crisco cited the city's violent crime stats - the worst in the state. He faces a possible suspension, even if his comments were true, although his exemplary record with SPPD could help him avoid serious discipline...

I wonder if Crisco's had lied and said "sure, go on in" and Mr Esposito had gotten his ass kicked or killed, would the usual suspects be screaming and suing the city.
...Through the first five months of 2011, the city has seen a drop in every single crime stat except murder. Earlier this month, following a secret summit on crime, Chief Chuck Harmon admitted his biggest concern was youths with guns...
So in other words their is a problem with violent crime in the city Chief. And your officer was being honest in what is going on. I think your officers should be held to a high standard. Is honesty part of your standard?

No comments:

Post a Comment