Police Work, Politics and World Affairs, Football and the ongoing search for great Scotch Whiskey!

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Turn out the lights…the party’s over

The Saint’s 2010 defense of their championship is over. It didn’t end pretty or the way I hoped it would but it’s over.

I posted during the summer about the challenges New Orleans would face in the year defending the Lombardi. Having to defend it is bad enough…losing to a ten point underdog in what is legitimately called the greatest upset in football playoff history…well, that’s a little salt in the wound.

Another issue I have now is who to root for. With the Saints gone I could have pulled for the Colts. Oh well, both defending conference champions lost today. The Falcons…not to prevent my fingernails from being pulled out with a pair of pliers. Chicago…naa, I have a friend who needs to suffer. Steelers…well, another buddy is betting against me and I gotta go against them (and I’ll give the Patriots the AFC and the Super Bowl right now.).

To borrow the quote of Commander Kor from Errand of Mercy in Star Trek TOS:
“Today we conquer. Though if some day we are defeated, well, war has its fortunes good and bad.”

Life goes on and us Saints fans have said more than once “there is always next year...”

Thanks Sean, Drew and the rest of the team for a hell of a season and here is to more success in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment