Police Work, Politics and World Affairs, Football and the ongoing search for great Scotch Whiskey!

Sunday, June 19, 2011

I don't think so... Homey don't play dat

Thankfully the officer and everyone else at this party is ok...and this waste of human life is not going to rob anyone else.

Cops: Teen fatally shot trying to rob off-duty cop

An off-duty Chicago police officer dressed up as a clown for a South Side fundraiser shot and killed a teen who held him at gunpoint tonight after the event, authorities said.

The officer, who is assigned to the Near North police district, was in his clown outfit for a fundraiser for a day-care business. The event, attended by a group of 50 children, was near West 87th Street and South Damen Avenue.

At 10:10 p.m. after the event ended, the officer went to his car and a teen approached him, asking him for money, authorities said. When the officer said he had no money, the teen pulled a gun on him, authorities said.

During a struggle with the teen, the officer grabbed hold of the gun, opened fire and killed him.

The officer sustained minor injuries, according to a release from police News Affairs.

A weapon was recovered from the scene.

One person was also taken into custody.

6 comments:

  1. what are people thinking?? Thank goodness it was someone who could defend themselves. I would never want to see anyone in the position but goodness.

    I have a Kimber solo and someone asked me if I feel safe with just 6 rounds. I told him "well you only need 2. 1 to shoot and an insurance policy"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did anyone want to charge the officer with being a litterbug? I guess in Chicago they don't have any Quanell 10 or Johnny Mata types starting to blow the horns. Of course I am just assuming the perp was a "minority."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandy

    As an article in our field training office says, "If it's worth shooting it's worth shooting twice." and "Ammunition is cheap, life isn't."

    My off duty/backup is a Sig 230 which holds 8 (7 plus one up the pipe) but I also have a second holster for two more mags. Never can have too much.
    :<)

    All seriousness better to have too much ammo than not enough. A buddy of mine was involved in a shooting in Houston recently. He almost emptied his mag at the guy from about 12 feet and missed him (but did get two cars at 20 yards :<) ). He was also under fire.

    During an active shooter course last year one point the instructor made multiple times was if you have to clear a building extra ammunition is invaluable...with that in mind I put a sling on my shotgun that holds 15 shells, picked up three additional mags for my Sig 232 and bought four more mags for my AR-15...

    Ammo is cheap...and should be plentiful :<)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did anyone want to charge the officer with being a litterbug?

    BC....please don't give the Independent Police Review Authority any ideas...
    :<)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It took me almost 2 months to get 2 more mags for my solo. When I was learning it sucked shooting 6 and reloading. Now... I am not saying I will go looking for a reason to carry 3 extra mags LOL!!

    My solo is my first gun. I was shopping for almost 6 months. I have really small hands (Im only 5'2" and an ex-gymnast) so finding something that fit comfortably was a challenge. I don't know if I would recommend the solo for someone who has never shot before as everyone calls her a "hand cannon" but I love her. It was amazing tho how finding the right gun made a world of difference to me. I have heard alot of good things about the sigs.

    After I got my solo, now I love to go out and have fun. I agree with me... the more ammo the happier I am :)

    Is it ok to assume your buddy was ok?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good you found something that fits you.  My in-laws were looking for a pistol for self defense and we spoke for a while.  I explained how you need to get something that fits your hand, is not too big for where you want to keep it, etc.  They bought a snub nose 357.  Beth's mom can handle it well.

    What sold me on the Sig 230 as an off duty was the way it felt in my hands (I have small hands to) and the way it felt when I dry fired it.  But it fits me well.  When I was in the academy and the range instructors were going over our pistol options (Sig 229, S+W, Beretta) they emphasized get what fits well in our hands, what you can handle.  The fact is if you are in a shooting it will probably be within 15 feet.

    And my buddy took one round in the left calf and left the hospital a few hours later.  Thankfully it went clean through, didn't hit any bone, vein etc.

    ReplyDelete