Police Work, Politics and World Affairs, Football and the ongoing search for great Scotch Whiskey!

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Phoenix cop killer gets the needle

Good news from Arizona....

Killer of Phoenix officer gets death penalty

A 23-year-old man who shot and killed a Phoenix police officer at a check-cashing store in 2007 was sentenced Tuesday to death.


A Maricopa County Superior Court jury imposed the death penalty against Edward James Rose, who fatally shot Officer George Cortez as the officer was trying to arrest him.

Rose pleaded guilty to first-degree murder in August, on the first day of his trial. On Sept. 13, the jury found aggravating factors to qualify him for the death penalty.


On July 27, 2007, Cortez, 23, the father of two boys, answered a 911 call from a check-cashing store in the 8200 block of West McDowell Road, where Rose and his girlfriend, Norma Lopez, were reported to have tried to cash a forged and stolen check. The incident was captured on surveillance video.


Prosecutors played moments of that video in court at Lopez's sentencing in April. She received 22 years after pleading guilty to second-degree murder.


In the video, Rose and Lopez can be seen standing at a teller's window as Lopez fidgets nervously. At that moment in the video, Lopez walks out of the store as Cortez walks quickly up to Rose and snaps a handcuff on his left hand.


Rose then pulled a .40-caliber pistol from his waistband and shot Cortez twice in the head.
Pray your next judge is more merciful you waste.  Rest in Peace Officer Cortez.

10 comments:

  1. edward james rose is a thug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and hopefully he's not wasting oxygen much longer!

      Delete
  2. long live edward james rose i am related to him and proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry for your loss friend. May God led you though these hard times and hopefully we see justice soon.

      Delete
  3. He's a worthless waste of a soul! Our world is better with out that POS! I will be dancing when he gets the needle! I use to live next to that waste of a human! He's lucky I didn't see him afterwards or I would have saved the court system the money and time!
    PS
    His girl should have got the needle to! Hopefully she does us a favor and kills her self!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Norma Lopez is guilty of what, trying to cash a stolen check? And had to serve 22 years for that! That's pathetic. I'm sorry for this officers loss, and may God be with his family as well, but Norma shouldn't be serving a quarter century for trying to cash a bad check. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That beautiful young woman doesn't deserve 22 years just for being there to cash a bad check. Norma Lopez has done enough time for crime already. I say let her go home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exactly..22 years is a little excessive...I understand since she was there so she does deserve a little bit of time..but she isn't responsible for his actions since it was a crime of opportunity. Its not like the both of them were out trolling for cops to kill.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is he still Alive?

    ReplyDelete
  8. He became my best friend trough the last months. I met him and I got to know him in ways you probably cant even think about. He may have an awful past and did made huge mistakes in his life but this man, like I know him, is one of very few people close to me.
    He do suffer for so long and its not easy for him too, but not only he do suffer, there are people who love him. Hes still a human, hes loved and he knows it. I would lay my hands on fire for him and I would trust him with my life. You can talk bad about shit from his past who he used to where back then, but thats it, it is past and just not true anymore. I wont leave his side and even Im hurt to read those bad words about him, I know opinions are different, but if you would know him like I do.. I would be death sad without him and I enjoy every day we have

    ReplyDelete