Police Work, Politics and World Affairs, Football and the ongoing search for great Scotch Whiskey!

Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Iron Lady...

Beth and I finally had a night off together and after an excellent steak dinner we settled in for The Iron Lady. I’ve blogged on this before that there were questions on the plot, one reviewer calling it a hatchet job. After watching it, I must agree.

Like Reagan, Mrs. Thatcher tragically has been struck down late in her life with mental illness. A legit issue to discuss in a biography, absolutely. However I think more time of the movie shows Thatcher as a elder mental invalid than her time in office. Half the movie must be of her speaking to the ghost of her late husband Dennis. Her rise in a male dominated political system, leadership of first the party and then the nation is juxtaposed to a discussion with a man not there. The time that made her a historical figure is given second shift.

Her turn around of the British economy is given less than five minutes, the Falkland War probably that a little more. A cabinet meeting is used only to imply the dementia she suffers from now was present during her time in office. She deserved much better than this even though Meryl Streep was excellent in her portrayer of the women, the script was a stab in the back. Similar to what CBS tried to do to Reagan soon after his death. I am glad I didn’t waste an hour of overtime on taking Beth and I to see this at the movie. Redbox is a great thing.

I unashamedly wept when Reagan and Pope John Paul II passed. I know I will for her. When great men and women pass I often recall this quote from The Shoes of the Fisherman, a story of a Soviet political prisoner elected Pope. As they are preparing for the funeral of the dead Pope, an American reporter goes over the way the Church will bury it’s fallen leader.
The Pope was dead. They would mourn him with nine days of Masses and give him nine Absolutions-of which, having been greater in his life than other men, he might have greater need after his death. 
Lady Thatcher you were greater than most of the men and women in your generation and it’s fitting you will be given the a state funeral upon your passing. That is significant. The last non-royal to get one was Winston Churchill.

And Darren, she’s still here so please don’t send me any email! ;<)

1 comment: