Police Work, Politics and World Affairs, Football and the ongoing search for great Scotch Whiskey!

Friday, November 17, 2017

I'm gonna follow you

I've seen the current list of "bad girls" of music, and I have to laugh. Party because I'm getting older and my taste in music has solidified. And yea youngin, your music does suck.
But also some of your "artist" (excuse me, I just spit my coffee) are worthless. There were strong women who broke the mole for their sisters, but they come from the 60s (e.g. Cher, Janice Joplin and Tina Turner), the 70s (Chrissie Hynde, Stephie Nicks, Joan Jett, and the Wilson sisters, Ann and Nancy) and 80s (Cyndi Lauper and Annie Lennox). I'll highlight one of the woman of the 1970s and beyond, Patricia Mae Andrzejewski, better known as Pat Benatar.

The women I listed actually had talent, wrote their own music (Not just listed their name as an co-author to get mailbox money), could play various instruments and pushed the envelope in music and sex appeal. Trust me, as a teenager in the 70s, I didn't object when Pat came out with her ballerina tights or leather pants. She was 5-0, 98 pounds and had a voice that would knock you on your ass. Being trained in opera at a young age gives you a range of voice. I finally got to see her back in 2010, and she is still one sexy senior citizen. But her talent is really shown on this cover of Billy Thermal's I'm gonna follow you. Awesome song, great play with blues influences and obsessive dark overtones, it's an incredible video (from back when MTV actually showed music).

From the woman who had the second video every played on MTV, Pat Benatar. Enjoy. And have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment