Police Work, Politics and World Affairs, Football and the ongoing search for great Scotch Whiskey!

Saturday, June 11, 2022

Another great book signed...

In the spring or summer of 1999, I was driving from (i.e. running as fast as I could) from Fort Bliss TX. In the middle of nowhere Texas, I was pushing the scan button on my radio. This was before I had a CD player in my truck, there was nothing called MP3, and I was tired of the tapes I had (Yes, I'm that old). 

As I was running from Operation Roving Sands at Fort Bliss, I hit on an interview with an author, Lieutenant Colonel Dave Grossman. He was at the time an active duty army psychologist, since retired. This was soon after the Columbine school shooting, and Dr. Grossman had written On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society. This is a classic reference on the the psychological component of killing her human beings. 

Fascinating interview, and as soon as I got home, I picked up a copy of the book and read it. And it gives great insight on how someone has to be desensitized to killing to kill. The military and law enforcement use it, but with restraint and regulations. Video games do the same, but without the oversight. 

Anyway, I finally got off my ass, and sent the book in for signature. Yesterday it came in and with a quick note. And yes, those two books are in my Amazon basket. 

Have a great weekend! 





No comments:

Post a Comment