Police Work, Politics and World Affairs, Football and the ongoing search for great Scotch Whiskey!

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Happy Birthday iPhone

From this morning's Houston Chronicle, a weekly column on Mac's (right next to the PC column) a birthday I would have never thought of.
DR. MAC

Birthday wishes as the iPhone turns 5


The iPhone celebrated its fifth birthday last Friday with little fanfare, so I’d like to take this opportunity to look back on its remarkable achievements and the ways it has improved my life. You know the iPhone is a phenomenon, but check out these facts and figures:

- iPhones sold: More than 217 million.

- Apps in the App Store: More than 650,000.

- Apps downloaded: More than 30 billion.

- App Store accounts: More than 400 million.

- Wireless carriers: More than 230.

- Countries with iPhone available: More than 100.

- Payments to app developers: More than $5 billion.


I can’t recall another mobile product (or non-mobile product, for that matter) that’s experienced such a meteoric rise and ongoing success. It’ll be a long time before another device eclipses such figures in its first five years....

...When I first wrote about the iPhone in 2007, I said it “blew my mind and makes all currently available smartphones look stupid.” While it may not make all currently available smartphones look stupid anymore (just most of them), it still blows my mind.

Happy birthday, iPhone; here’s hoping for many happy returns.

I was Macumcised over the last few years, I use an iPad for the most part and the wife hogs the MacBook Pro. But we both love our iPhone 4s and don't ever see going back to a Android.

And to think we owe this to an arrogant genius who told graduating students he didn't got to college because he didn't see wasting his parent's life sayings for nothing. Jobs made a multi-billion dollar industry without a tax credit and told B Hussein Obama the truth...something he's not used to.

Happy birthday iPhone...and Apple, please put out the iPhone 5 so I'll have the excuse to but one!

No comments:

Post a Comment