Police Work, Politics and World Affairs, Football and the ongoing search for great Scotch Whiskey!

Monday, February 21, 2011

More great news on Curly Fries Light

And it’s scary a Republican pushed this and he’s now head of a committee

I got the attached email from a friend Robert W discussing problem a friend of his had with a curly fries light, sometimes known as Compact Florescent Lights.

Below is a picture of a CFL light bulb from my bathroom. I turned it on the other day and then smelled smoke after a few minutes. Four-inch flames were spewing out of the side of the ballast like a blow torch!!! I immediately turned off the lights!!!I'm sure it would have caused a fire if I was not right there!!! Imagine if the kids had left the lights on as usual when they were not in the room!!!!!!!!!!!!

I took the bulb to the Fire Department to report the incident. The fireman wasn't at all surprised, and said that it was not an uncommon occurrence. Apparently, sometimes when the bulb burns out, there is a chance that the ballast can start a fire. He told me that the Fire Marshall had issued reports about the dangers of these bulbs.

Upon doing some Internet research, it seems that bulbs made by “Globe” in China seem to have the lion’s share of problems. Lots of fires have been blamed on misuse of CFL bulbs, like using them in recessed lighting, pot lights, dimmers or in track lighting. Mine was installed in a normal light socket.

I bought these at Wal-Mart. I will be removing all the Globe bulbs from my house. CFL bulbs ARE great energy-savers, but make sure you buy a name brand like Sylvania , Phillips or GE --and NOT the ones from China .. PASS THE WORD, PLEASE.

It reminded me of something I saw a few months ago…these are the actual instructions for disposing of a broken light bulb from the Maine Department of Environmental Protection, Bureau of Remediation and Waste Management.
What if I accidentally break a fluorescent lamp in my house?
The lamp contains a small amount of mercury, but you can clean this up yourself if you do the following:

Do not use a vacuum cleaner to clean up the breakage. This will spread the mercury vapor and dust throughout the area and could potentially contaminate the vacuum.

Keep people and pets away from the breakage area until the cleanup is complete.

Ventilate the area by opening windows, and leave the area for 15 minutes before returning to begin the cleanup. Mercury vapor levels will be lower by then.

For maximum protection and if you have them, wear rubber gloves to protect your hands from the sharp glass.

Carefully remove the larger pieces and place them in a secure closed container, preferably a glass container with a metal screw top lid and seal like a canning jar.(1) A glass jar with a good seal works best to contain any mercury vapors inside.(2)

Next, begin collecting the smaller pieces and dust. You can use two stiff pieces of paper such as index cards or playing cards to scoop up pieces.

Pat the area with the sticky side of duct tape, packing tape or masking tape to pick up fine particles. Wipe the area with a wet wipe or damp
paper towel to pick up even finer particles.

Put all waste and materials into the glass container, including all material used in the cleanup that may have been contaminated with mercury. Label the container as “Universal Waste - broken lamp.”

Remove the container with the breakage and cleanup materials from your home. This is particularly important if you do not have a glass container.

Continue ventilating the room for several hours.

Wash your hands and face.

Take the glass container with the waste material to a facility that accepts “universal waste” for recycling. To determine where your municipality has made arrangements for recycling of this type of waste, call your municipal office or find your town in this list municipal collection sites.

When a break happens on carpeting, homeowners may consider removing throw rugs or the area of carpet where the breakage occurred as a precaution, particularly if the rug is in an area frequented by infants, small children or pregnant women.

Finally, if the carpet is not removed, open the window to the room during the next several times you vacuum the carpet to provide good ventilation.

The next time you replace a lamp, consider putting a drop cloth on the floor so that any accidental breakage can be easily cleaned up. If consumers remain concerned regarding safety, they may consider not utilizing fluorescent lamps in situations where they could easily be broken. Consumers may also consider avoiding CFL usage in bedrooms or carpeted areas frequented by infants, small children, or pregnant women. Finally, consider not storing too many used/spent lamps before recycling as that may increase your chances of breakage. Don’t forget to properly recycle your used fluorescent bulbs so they don’t break and put mercury into our environment.

(1). Other jars that can be made of glass and also work are pickle, peanut butter and applesauce jars. Not ideal but also a good choice for containing breakage is a heavy duty #2 plastic container with either a screw lid or push-on lid such as a joint compound bucket or certain kitty litter-type containers.

(2). If the only suitable jar available has food in it, you may need to empty it into another container before using it.

Thanks to the idiots in Washington DC, we have a hazmat site every time an overpriced less efficient light bulb that doesn’t last as promised breaks. Good to know we have such great public servants like this…

No comments:

Post a Comment