Police Work, Politics and World Affairs, Football and the ongoing search for great Scotch Whiskey!

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Is snow really that much fun....

As I sit at a traffic assignment (aka wasting a lot of time because the genius's who run my agency can't believe people don’t run the red lights at this intersection) I was reviewing my emails and got a memo from my high school friend Mark. The comments on "Why I live in the South" are head on. Especially the driving (or lack thereof).

Last week Houston had three hard freezes but the first was the worse. We had just had a rain so there was ice all over the highways. I drove home at 300am on Friday the 4th and in 20 miles of interstate travel (again, this is at 300am on a non-weekend night) I counted no less than 20 wrecks on the highway. People around here don't know how to drive on ice (some would make snide comments on driving period but that's a different subject for a different day :<) ). For people who have never experienced it driving on ice is scary as hell because you lose all control of your vehicle. And I've always loved idiots in 4X4s who say "I can handle it..." Yo moron, that means instead of two wheels spinning uncontrollably you have four wheels spinning uncontrollably.



I've occasionally got into a discussion with some of my friends here where someone says “I'd rather have the cold than the heat...I can always put more cloths on..." My answer has always been to ask them “Have you ever lived where it is cold?” and most of the answers are “No, I’ve always lived here…” I ask about planning for an extra 10-30 minutes of driving each morning because of the ice and snow…or having to put anti freeze in the gasoline because it freezes too…or having to spend ten to thirty minutes every morning shaving ice and snow off your car like this guy:



But I gotta say there are some fun parts…



Again I’ve lived in Colorado and Korea…I’ve been in Japan in the January and Iowa in December…give my the deep south any day!

No comments:

Post a Comment