Police Work, Politics and World Affairs, Football and the ongoing search for great Scotch Whiskey!

Monday, August 1, 2011

I WANT MY MTV!

I remember in August 81 getting ready for my junior year and I flicked on TV and found MTV. And I was hooked. I had heard about music video’s before on ABCs 20/20 but seeing Pat Benatar, Cindy Lauper, the Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, The Who on television was incredible.

I recently finished Pat Benatar’s bio and she mentioned how she and her band had no real ideal what a video was when they shot You Better Run (the look on her face was because it was hot and a lot of things were going wrong at that time, plus multiple shootings, but the video is great!) but the rest is history.

I remember seeing MTV’s 10th Anniversary party and the interview with Aerosmith on how this video came out.



They wanted something speculal for the anniversary and one of the members of the band (I can’t recall who) said “let’s do it with an orchestra” and Steve Tyler said “That’s it!” That was without question one of the greatest live performances in history.

There were also great commercials from some of the better groups of the 80s.







Alias, MTV is more RTV ("Reality TV") now and music in name only. But it was once great. To whomever had the idea for an all music channel, thank you. And to the corporate idiots who said “let’s make this all reality tv crap” there is a special placed in hell for you and your descendants!

If only they would have kept true to the words from the beginning, "Ladies and gentlemen, rock and roll."



MTV, RIP

No comments:

Post a Comment