Police Work, Politics and World Affairs, Football and the ongoing search for great Scotch Whiskey!

Sunday, August 28, 2011

I'm sorry General Powell

But I don't believe you.
Powell Not Sold on Obama in ‘12 - The Note

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell, who famously crossed party lines to vote for President Obama in 2008, said today that he’s not necessarily supporting the president for reelection in 2012.

“I haven’t decided who I’m going to vote for,” Powell said on CBS’ “Face the Nation.” “Just as was the case in 2008, I am going to watch the campaign unfold. In the course of my life I have voted for Democrats, I have voted for Republicans, I have changed from one four-year cycle to another.

“I’ve always felt it my responsibility as a citizen to take a look at the issues, examine the candidates, and pick the person that I think is best qualified for the office of the president in that year. And not just solely on the basis of party affiliation,” he said.

Asked about the Republican field, Powell said there are some “interesting candidates,” but no one who has “emerged into the leading position.”

“So let’s see if anybody else is going to join, and we’ve got a long way to go,” he added.

Powell, the nation’s first African-American secretary of state, praised Obama’s leadership style in 2008 in endorsing him, saying shortly before the election that Obama “has a definite way of doing business that will serve us well.” He also said at the time that he didn’t think the GOP vice-presidential candidate, Sarah Palin, was “ready” to be president...
I have no doubt you will vote for B Hussein Obama in 2012, just as I had no question you would vote for him in 2008 by the time of the conventions.

It all goes down to what type of President you want General Powell. You are from the Rockefeller liberal wing of the GOP and McCain is you're ideal candidate. A moderate who will reach over the aisles and work with Democrats. Yet for some reason you not only endorsed his opponent (after it being very common knowledge that McCain wanted your endorsement) but you did it in a manner that would harm him the most. The Sunday before the election. No time to recover.

Also you questioned if Sarah Palin would be ready for the presidency. General Powell, have you seen the joke that currently resides in the Naval Observatory sir? You said of then Senator Biden “is ready to be president on day one.” And you called out current President “'a transformational figure' who would be an 'exceptional' leader." I won't argue he is transformational. He is transforming the United States into a second rate nation. But more to the question what about leadership.

The Army defines leadership as "...influencing people by providing purpose, direction, and motivation, while operating to accomplish the mission and improve the organization." For a more civilian definition we can go to Merriam-Webster, "...the office or position of a leader...capacity to lead...the act or an instance of leading..."

I ask you sir before assuming the Presidency when did Obama every show anything that remotely resembles leadership? Show me when he took upon a great task and left it better than when he finished? Show me people wanting to follow him, who believe in him and have confidence he will lead this country to a better future? You probably know of British General William Slim comment on leadership to his officers, "I tell you, as officers, that you will not eat, sleep, smoke, sit down or lie down until your soldiers have had a chance to do these things. If you do this, they will follow you to the ends of the earth. If you do not, I will break you in front of your regiments."

Can you really say a man-child who has played more golf in two and a half years than George W. Bush played in eight, who loves almost monthly vacations or loves to have dinners at the White House with tax payer provided Kobe beef? If so I really have had a mistaken impression of you sir.

Or maybe this sounds familiar

Lesson 12. "Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier."


The ripple effect of a leader's enthusiasm and optimism is awesome. So is the impact of cynicism and pessimism. Leaders who whine and blame engender those same behaviors among their colleagues. I am not talking about stoically accepting organizational stupidity and performance incompetence with a "what, me worry?" smile. I am talking about a gung-ho attitude that says "we can change things here, we can achieve awesome goals, we can be the best." Spare me the grim litany of the "realist," give me the unrealistic aspirations of the optimist any day.

Many words can be used to describe Obama but optimistic is not one of them. And he whines and blames others, Mother Nature, bad luck, his predecessors, etc. Remember a rule of thumb in the Army that once you take a command you get three months or so where you are given some slack. Well he's had almost three years and he is still blaming others. Does that sound like a leader?

So I'll just finished this rant with this request, just endorse Obama now. Save Perry, Romney or Bachmann the aggravation you didn't spare McCain in 08.



No comments:

Post a Comment