Police Work, Politics and World Affairs, Football and the ongoing search for great Scotch Whiskey!

Friday, April 21, 2023

Love is sometimes bitter...

A rock anthem if there ever was. I remember this song well, came out just as I was deploying to my first active army assignment at Camp Casey Korea. This was summer 1988, there was no internet, telephone cost through the nose, and I was assigned to a combat unit. 1st Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, The Iron Brigade. Back then, all women (although there were females on the post in other units). 

The first month I would often go to the Burger King (living large there), order a Diet Coke, and play music on the jukebox. And I would always play this song. A but painful at the time (I was 7,000 plus miles from home and my then girlfriend), but misery loves company. I've often said of the 2nd Infantry Division, it was the last vestige of the old army left. You were deployed, the wife and kids were on the other side of the planet, the broken car, school problems, etc. were not an issue. There was nothing you could do. 

But I just loved how this song called to me. Love can be very painful and dangerous, as Bob Sager said in Shame on the Moon, "Once inside a woman's heart, a man must keep his head. Heaven opens up the door, where angels fear to tread." 

Enough of my crazed philosophy on love, and onto a great piece of music. Lef Leppard's classic, Love Bites. Have a great weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment