Police Work, Politics and World Affairs, Football and the ongoing search for great Scotch Whiskey!

Sunday, April 16, 2023

Texas at night

Years ago I saw a picture of the Korean Peninsula at night. Below the border, South Korea was light up almost entirely. Above the border, North Korea, after years of being the Worker's Paradise under three generations of the Kim's was almost completely dark. If there is a better example of the difference between freedom and tyranny, I don't know wha it is.

Well, found this recently, showing my adopted home state of Texas and how it looks at night. While it does have large spaces of darkness, there are massive centers of light in the major cities. I really love the southwest area around the Big Bend Nation Park. Almost no light. I've been meaning to go there for ages, and this makes me want to go even more. 

When I was a teenager, I was at a Boy Scout camp in the middle of Mississippi. On the ground just talking to someone, staring at the sky and it just hit me, "Look at all the stars!" No light pollution. It's getting harder and harder to find places like that in the US, but we can always hope to get there. Being in a place with that many stars just refreshes my soul, and gives you a taste of what you mean in the big picture. 

Enjoy the shot. 

Texas at night


No comments:

Post a Comment