Police Work, Politics and World Affairs, Football and the ongoing search for great Scotch Whiskey!

Thursday, November 29, 2018

I guess the author wants money before she kicks the bucket...

In college I saw the book The Handmaid's Tale in the book store. I have to say it didn't peak my interest and I put it down.

Two years ago I was sick and saw Hulu stared a series based on the novel, and I figured I'll give it a try. So my two dogs and I laid in bed and gave The Handmaid's Tail an hour. An hour of my life. I was quite annoyed at the I would never get that hour of my life back.

Perhaps the book is more interesting, but the first episode was worthless to me. But after hearing the reviews, about it being so chilling during the Trump administration, I was convinced it would win multiple awards. I was right.

Now the author is going to write a sequel to the book. Not surprised. I wonder if it will track the current Hulu series:
Margaret Atwood to write ‘Handmaid’s Tale’ sequel

For decades, ardent fans of Margaret Atwood’s dystopian classic, “The Handmaid’s Tale,” have been demanding a sequel. And for years, Atwood has demurred.

But now Atwood has decided to continue the tale, more than three decades after it was first published. On Wednesday, she announced that she will publish “The Testaments,” a sequel to “The Handmaid’s Tale,” in September 2019. Set 15 years after the final scene of “The Handmaid’s Tale,” the novel features three female narrators.

In a statement released by her publisher, Atwood said she decided to return to the story not just because of her voracious fans, but because she wanted to explore the eerie parallels between her imagined dystopia and our current political climate.

“Dear Readers: Everything you’ve ever asked me about Gilead and its inner workings is the inspiration for this book,” she said. “Well, almost everything! The other inspiration is the world we’ve been living in...”
OK, what inspirations are you talking about. Hey, you like this type of fiction, be my guest. But last time I checked no one is denying women in America access to birth control, or forcing pregnant women to carry children to full term after they have been raped. If I'm on drugs, show me. There are some religious groups refusing to pay for birth control such as the pill, but no one is stopping a woman from getting this common, low cost contraceptive.

A few years back a lying slut named Sandra Flute perjured herself in front of Congress. She actually went up and said what was bankrupting her at Georgetown Law School was not the thirty thousand dollar tuition but the fact the student health plan would not cover the pill. To my shock, National Public Radio actually did some "journalism" and looked into her ridiculous claim. They went to a Target store a few miles from the campus and discovered the pill cost all of nine dollars a month. A month. I'll lay nine bucks the lying slut spends more than that at Starbucks every week.
...“The Handmaid’s Tale,” which takes place in a futuristic theocratic state called Gilead where women are treated as property and used as reproductive serfs, has become almost a cultural shorthand for patriarchal oppression. Women dressed in red robes and white bonnets, the costumes that Atwood’s handmaids wear, have gathered in protests around the country to voice their opposition to policies that restrict women’s access to abortion and health care.
Again, what "policies" restrict access to abortion? Last time I checked Planned Parenthood has 650 clinics in the United States and preformed over 325, 000 abortions last year. What health care is being denied? Again, such dribble, but then again, we are talking the NY Times.
Atwood has often said that her novel was based not on some horrific vision of the future, but on real historical eras in which women were denied basic rights, as well as current theocratic patriarchal societies around the world.

“In Western society, you don’t have to go back very far to find alot of the things I put in,” Atwood said in an interview with the New York Times earlier this year, when she spoke about the growing interest in feminist dystopian stories. “How recently did women gain the right to control their own property?”

Atwood said the novel’s recent resurgence reflected our cultural preoccupation with imagining disastrous futures as a way of digesting current anxieties about political extremism and the fate of the planet.

“We live in an age of dystopias, not just because of women’s matters but because of what’s happening to the planet,” she said. “Things are not right...”

By your own words Ms. Atwood, we have made a lot of process in recent time. So if you want to write a dystopian novel, be my guest. But please, leave the feminist propaganda from NARAL and NOW out. It's tiresome.

No comments:

Post a Comment