Police Work, Politics and World Affairs, Football and the ongoing search for great Scotch Whiskey!

Friday, May 29, 2020

Comments on the last few days...

Like countless millions, I've looked at the video from Minneapolis, followed by (entirely predictable) riots, looting, etc. Ah yes, nothing says we have a just cause like taking wide screen TVs from a Target store or burning down a police station. To make the clusterf%^& complete, the "Reverend" Al Sharpton is flying in to stir up more troubles. Well, at least we don't have a AG who's only purpose is to destroy law enforcement.

I remember when there was a civil rights movement in this country. Headed by, among others, Rev. Martin Luther King, they protested nonviolently against Jim Grow, lack of voting, the Vietnam war, and other issues. King was inspired by Gandhi and his methods of non-violence. I don't recall any department stores being looted, police stations set on fire, other other violent actions by the protesters in Selma and Birmingham. The usual suspects today use it only as an excuse to steal from others.

Two great quotes from a classic movie, Gandhi. Gandhi is speaking with hundred of men, trying to organize them for protest against the British. He is very firm, he has no cause for which he will kill, he rejects violence, but he knows it will come to them, "...and through our pain, we will make them see their injustice...."



A great conclusion, "They may torture my body, break my bones, even kill me, then they will have my dead body. But not my obedience!"

As I watch the looting over this nation, I recall how Martin Luther King was inspired by Gandhi, and his methods. He was murdered in 68, and the decendants of what was a civil rights movement are shameful at best. But with all that is going on, I think I'll watch Gandhi over the weekend. It's gives me hope there is a chance of civilization surviving .


No comments:

Post a Comment